Discovery II KALAHARI Concept
• 11269 views
How do you make the world's best off-road vehicle even better? That was the challenge Land Rover and SAFARI GARD tackled when developing the Kalahari Safari Gard Concept, on display for the first time at the 2001 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show.
With a modified suspension, rock sliders and new front and rear bumpers this off-road concept, based on the Discovery Series II, has been tailored by SAFARI GARD to tackle any off-road terrain with ease while maintaining on-road driving performance.
"This vehicle will appeal to off-road enthusiasts and reinforces Land Rover's well-respected credentials for building the best four by fours by far," said Jon Williams, Land Rover North America vice president of Marketing. "Selected features showcased on this concept can be found on the special edition 2002 Kalahari Discovery that will be available at Land Rover retailers in the coming months."
SAFARI GARD started with an already capable off-road vehicle and modified it with the best technology and parts available to the serious off-road enthusiast.
The modifications include:
• SAFARI GARD’s Discovery II Suspension increases lift four-inches above stock, provides five-inches of additional wheel travel in front and eight-inches in rear coupled with Fox hand-built, nitrogen charged shocks that are customized with eight-way adjustable reservoirs, providing a more comfortable ride, on- or off-road.
• Rock Sliders replace the stock sill panels to enhance appearance and provide superior side protection.
• Specially designed front bumpers increase front-end clearance by several inches and allow for an improved angle into steep upgrades.
• The modified rear bumper provides full protection, while significantly increasing clearance and departure angles with the unique "forward approach" design that helps reduce "tail dragging" while at the same time protects rear quarter panels from damage.
• High Intensity Discharge (HID) driving and back-up lamps give additional lighting when driving through harsh terrain.
• SAFARI GARD Hi-Lift Mounts add easy and accessible storage of that hard to handle Hi-Lift or Jack-All. A pull-pin is provided with the mount for a quick release and easy storage for safekeeping when in the city. An outer plate is also provided to "sandwich" the jack, making for a solid and secure mounting unit.
• Centerline wheels wrapped in Michelin 285/70R17 KM tires feature Trailmate beadlocks that ensure the tire does not separate from the wheel during the most extreme off-road situation.
• For a lavish camping experience, the roof mounted Hannibal tent gives the luxury of camping off the ground.
• The ultimate amenity: a shower system with its own self-priming marine pump. The pump connects to your vehicle battery and can be permanently mounted using the optional remote accessory kit.